and Doctrinal Beliefs
My first book, A Tempered Faith, was written during the time of my spiritual conversion. It is the documentation of my personal journey to a greater understanding of being a Christian. My other books, A Teachable Faith and A Treasured Faith, detail the spiritual growth that has taken place since my conversion.
Prior to September 11, 2001, I was Biblically illiterate. My previous mindset consisted primarily of the knowledge that “there is a God”… but my comprehension of Him was superficial and shortsighted at best. I never understood the severity and consequences of my sins or the intensity and full meaning of Jesus’ sacrifice and resurrection – until after September 11. There are remnants of that spiritual immaturity in A Tempered Faith, but I believe that is part of the beauty of watching a person’s journey unfold. One cannot appreciate the progression of one’s faith unless they see the whole picture, spiritual ignorance and all.
Before 9/11, I did not own a Bible and never had any interest in reading one. Now, I hunger for the Word of God and I teach it in my church and at my speaking events. I have fully trusted in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior, whose death and resurrection provided forgiveness for my sins and the promise of eternal life with Him. I believe that the date of my salvation is July 17, 2002, during Jim’s underwater Memorial Dive in Grand Cayman. On that day, I invited Jesus into my heart and began the long (and ongoing) process of growing in grace and knowledge of Him. I was baptized in 2003 at Living Faith Bible Church (formerly called Laurelton Park Baptist Church) where I now serve as Women’s Ministry Director.
God gives me many opportunities to share the Gospel with others and to spread a crucial message of hope to those who have none. God planted so many people in my life to help me through my darkest days, and I believe that He is now planting me in the lives of others. My mission is to glorify God, to serve Jesus, and to share Jesus; also to encourage others to draw closer to God through His Word, through prayer, and through fellowship with other believers. I know that the One who truly understands pain and loss – far more than any of us can ever fathom – will help me to accomplish that.
The following is my basic doctrinal statement:
- I believe in a Triune God who eternally exists and manifests Himself to us in three persons: the Father, the Son (Jesus Christ) and the Holy Spirit. (Matt 28:19, John 14:16-20).
- I believe in the unique virgin birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ; His death and resurrection of His crucified body, His ascension into heaven, His imminent return, and His present ministry of intercession for us (1 Cor 15:1-8).
- I believe we are all sinners by nature and by choice and are therefore condemned to eternal ruin (Rom 3:23, 6:23).
- I believe that the Lord Jesus Christ died for our sins; and all who repent and believe in Him are justified solely by His grace, on the grounds of His shed blood (Eph 2:8-9), and that they are indwelt by the Holy Spirit and secured until the Day of redemption.
- I believe that the Bible is the inerrant and infallible Word of God, the one rule of doctrine and duty, and our only divinely-inspired and infallible guide (2 Tim 3:16).
A more detailed statement is available upon request.